People Make Parks helps New Yorkers participate in the design of their parks.
People Make Parks
is a joint project of the nonprofit design/build firm Hester Street Collaborative
and Partnerships for Parks. People Make Parks provides parks community groups with tools and resources to effectively contribute to NYC Parks’
building and design process. Physical changes in a park offer a great opportunity for community members to have a long-term impact on public space in their neighborhoods. And when people feel their voices have been heard regarding a park’s design, they feel greater ownership over the park and are more likely to become dedicated stewards of the space over time.
People Make Parks supports community groups to:
- Work with NYC Parks in creating a true culture of collaboration around capital projects;
- Understand the capital process and the many levels of approvals, both inside and outside the agency, that a park design goes through, so your group can be an effective contributor;
- Access tools, resources, and activities so your group can participate at every stage of the capital process and productively communicate the results;
- Get inspired by and learn from best practices of other successful PMP projects, so your group understands what’s required to see a capital project through to completion;
- Involve non-English speakers and youth in contributing to their community’s vision for a park;
- Leverage people’s excitement after providing input to keep them involved once the new park re-opens.
For more information about People Make Parks, contact Julia.Raskin@parks.nyc.gov
or (212) 788-1965.